Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Technology in My Classroom and How it's Failing

Recently I've been trying to integrate more technology into my classroom. It has not gone very well so far. One of the problems I feel I am facing is resistance from my school/district.

In my EME 5050 class we've been talking about blogs and how they would be useful for our students to connect to other students. I was very excited about starting a blog for my class and started looking into it. My idea was that I could get my students to write a summary of a book they are reading and post it then comment on other students entries. This would start a mini book club of sorts. I quickly found that it was going to be impossible due to "red tape." The first indication was when I asked some colleagues about it and they warned me it wouldn't work. I smiled at them and said that I'd like to find out on my own. The second indication it wasn't going to go well was when I tried to go to a blogging website while on campus. All blogging websites are blocked district wide. This is a major problem for me because I want my students that are not able to access the internet from home to be able to blog while on campus. So far this is placed on hold until I can get someone from my district to listen to me about the NETS-S standards.

I have decided that I will replace the blog with something temporary. I decided that my students will type a blog on Microsoft Word and save it to the student computers or email me a copy of it. I will then attach it to my website. The students will then have to find another student's blog on my teacher website and comment to it by typing up a response in Microsoft Word and follow the same steps as before. This is way more work than it should be but at least I am getting my students to use technology.

If anyone else has a better idea please let me know.

5 comments:

  1. Haven't been in a classrom lately, how about creating a wiki for your students? Maybe those can be accessed. GinaDx, grad student UCF

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've looked into wikispaces.net and it costs money to the tune of $1000 a year to have a private label that will give me the control of content that I need. Thanks for the suggestion though :)

    As an update, I was able to email someone from the district and the district has epals.com. I need to get approval from my principal but that is what they want teachers in our district using and it's free!

    Things are looking better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi,
    One piece of reality is that you have to work with what your district wants. But that isn't always bad. Sometimes they have found great things, looked at more than you have time to look at, and know the "big picture" problems of safety of student data, privacy, impact on district bandwidth, cost to IT department, etc. LOTS of alternatives can help you become a more powerful tech-using teacher!
    I'm in Miami and would be happy to help you with blogs for your students. Also they can connect with others through ePals. John Lien from your district office (PD) has been terrific to work with.
    You might also be able to get your students to comment on existing blogs. What age are they? Your profile doesn't say. There is a great epals blog that a HS teacher in San Diego set up last year, with students in many other countries commenting on US novels!
    Good luck in exploring and discovering more great ways to connect with your students.
    On Monday, check out the www.epals.com home page for an interesting announcement that might be terrific to engage your students!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Rita, John Lien was the person that I emailed and he suggested epals. I've been looking at the site and like what I see so far. I need to wait on my principal giving me approval but that shouldn't be a problem. My kids are in 5th grade so between the ages of 10 and 12. I know that it will be difficult to get them started but they are definitely capable of it. Plus, if I start them doing this now they will be ahead of other students in middle school and high school.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rita and Reese,
    It is good to hear about the challenges and solutions that are out there when trying to incorporate technology into the classroom. I am just about finished my teacher licensure course and will be student teaching next Spring. Depending on the district I end up in, I may certainly face the challenges you both do. I also hope to teach 5th grade, and I agree that is a great age to introduce them to these products and the benefits of them. I will keep epals in mind and check back here to see how it works for you.

    ReplyDelete