Sunday, October 25, 2009

Digital Storytelling Part 2

I have been asked the question, "How can digital storytelling benefit your students?"  In this blog I will attempt to answer the question and show an example of digital storytelling.

I think that digital storytelling will benefit my students because it provides a different medium for my students to put stories on.  They may not like to write with a piece of paper and pencil but they really like to type.  The other digital media that is used in digital storytelling can be enjoyable for my students as well.  My students are very interested in music.  If they can do a project with music it will help them be more engaged in the project.  Another piece of digital media that they may like is videos.  My class loves to talk about movies all the time.  If they were to create a movie instead of writing a story they will definately be more engaged.  Lastly, if the students have a tangible piece to see and interact with they will feel more successful.

Digital storytelling is also benefitial for students to learn how to communicate.  Sometimes tone could be lost in written word.  If the students could show their feelings through the digital media they would be better understood.  For example, making a story with soft music could show that they feel calm.  This may sound simple but tone does say a lot about how a person is feeling.

It is important that students use digital storytelling properly.  Before I made my project I had to map it out.  This is an important organizational skill that students need to learn.

As you can see digital storytelling has many benefits to K-12 students.

No comments:

Post a Comment